Need Help with Program to measure multiple cylinders of varying diameter and height

Advanced techniques applicable to any version of CMM-Manager
hefty
Getting Started
Getting Started

Need Help with Program to measure multiple cylinders of varying diameter and height

Post by hefty » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:30 pm

I am trying to set-up a program and not sure if it is possible to do what I am looking for.

What we have are a bunch of Go and No-Go gauges that we want to use the CMM to validate. The diameters of the gauges vary from 0.2000" to 1.3000". The gauge I am currently working with is a 0.75" gauge that has 0.7520" on one side and 0.7505" on the other side. The plan is to mount these vertically using a v-block then do a cylinder measurement of it to get the diameter.

I was trying to do it with 15 points in 3 sets of 5 with first 0.125" down from the top and the last set of points 0.5" down. I don't care about it location output just need the diameter. I manually put the probe roughly above the cylinder and did a point and set that point as the origin that way the height had a reference point. Then I created an external measure cylinder set at diameter that was measured DCC. After it runs I am able to put in nominal value and tolerance and it is all good. Now the pin gauge needs to be flipped and the other side measured. Other side was set-up in same way with manual point in middle to set height as it could vary from flipping and origin set at it. Then I did the same cylinder as above except this side is slightly smaller at the 0.7505". And from here I don't know what I am doing...

I need a program that I can input the diameter of the pin to be measured that way the cylinder measure will auto scale outwards or inwards and measure correctly. Also need to be able to input the nominal dimension and tolerance after it runs which will be different for each side. Also need to touch off the top so it knows what height to start from.

When I run what I have it won't let me change the inputs from initial set-up. Is there anyway to change this stuff? Maybe there is a better way to do this then what I did to set this up. We have multiple gauges varying in size and height; was hoping to get a program where you put in a couple of inputs let it measure, flip it, inputs, then let it measure the other side, then output a report on the diameters. Can't seem to get this to work right. I am a noob with this program. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Help with Program to measure multiple cylinders of varying diameter and height

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:44 pm

I would break the cylinder measurements into individual circles or maybe even points as described here - viewtopic.php?f=31&p=5105&hilit=parametric

This type of parametric program will require a small bit of VBScript but will allow running one single program for all different part configurations.

hefty
Getting Started
Getting Started

Re: Need Help with Program to measure multiple cylinders of varying diameter and height

Post by hefty » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. I read through the post you linked to. I am at a loss. Either I am doing something wrong or I do not understand what was said on that page at all but I can't get anything to work. I'm probably just missing some steps.

We have v3.0 so I wasn't able to open any of the attached files on that page to see how they were set-up. Is what we are trying to do easier in the newer versions of CMM Manager? As we have a really old version I assume there are quite a few features that we lack. No one really has any training with this program here; I am just figuring it out as I go. Any additional help is much appreciated. Thanks.

hefty
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by hefty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

I got a program working that allows for a variable input of the diameter to measure a cylinder. It works great!

Now my only issue is that I need to automate saving the report. Is there a way to make a VBScript to ask for the input of the report name and info in the header? Also a script to save file as "InputName" in "X" folder for the default report as viewed?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:25 pm

You can set filename and filepath as described in post here - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3439