DDE Reports not closing

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
AndyCEI
Getting Started
Getting Started

Re: DDE Reports not exporting

Post by AndyCEI » Wed May 13, 2020 11:43 am

Idk where to leave this, so this seemed like the right place. But right now I'm highly interested in the DDE feature, and I'm getting into testing it. I tried to use DDE for all the features saved a excel file just for this test. But when the program on CMM manager comes around to executing the DDE I get an error saying unable to launch excel. Any suggestions ?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DDE Reports not closing

Post by CrashN8 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Dare I ask... Is Excel actually installed and properly licensed on your PC?

What versions of the following?
- CMM-Manager
- Excel / Office
- WIndows OS

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Wed May 13, 2020 2:44 pm

If I'm reading this correctly, you used Excel during the programming. Hence... Excel is on the computer.

I assume a recent version (3.9) of CMM-Manager? Older versions (ie: 3.6) would only work with "up to" certain versions of Excel. Which version of Excel/Office do you have loaded on that system?

Could there be any IT policies in place (or Anti-Virus occasionally) that could be blocking us (a program) from trying to execute Excel (Another program)?

AndyCEI
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by AndyCEI » Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 am

As of right now I'm running excel 2004, 3.9 for CMM-M and Windows 10 pro for my OS. When I go to set up DDE the previewing works just fine but executing to an actual saved file is the problem. I run into a error. IT guy told me a couple days back that piping into excel shouldn't be no problem. The CMM guys before me never dabbled into this side of CMM Manager so I'm putting myself on the forefront to see how powerful CMM-M is. I appreciate the help and any suggestions.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 am

CMM Guru wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:44 pm
If I'm reading this correctly, you used Excel during the programming. Hence... Excel is on the computer.
Excel does not need to be installed on PC to create DDE operation(s) in CMM-Manager. Only an Excel file needs to be present. Excel application is only needed to Preview and to execute program. I have personally seen several cases where end user has Excel files (usually from another PC) but no Excel application installed.
AndyCEI wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 am
As of right now I'm running excel 2004, 3.9 for CMM-M and Windows 10 pro for my OS.
Thank you for this extra info... As of past couple versions of CMM-Manager we do not "care" about the version of Excel. in the past there was always a minimum version of CMM-Manager required for different releases of Excel / Office. Starting in CMM-M 3.7 or 3.8 we've changed our interface for Excel and DDE output such that it's version agnostic. So since this time we test new releases with a few different versions of Excel, however I doubt we've tested something as old as Excel 2004 in the past few years.

Before we too hung up on Excel version... I have a suggestion. We've found that Excel (DDE in particular) does not work when Excel and CMM-Manager application have mixed privileges - i.e. CMM-Manager running as Admin & Excel is not. Can you confirm whether Excel and/or CMM-Manager is running as Admin? We know CMM-Manager MUST run as Admin on a few systems - i.e. Helmel DCC - in this case BOTH Excel and CMM-Manager should be running with elevated Admin privileges. Generally speaking, neither application should be (needs to be) running as Admin.

Next, I would confirm that the folder where the Excel file is located or the Excel file itself is not write protected. This would explain Preview working and program execution failing... Since the file used for preview is in location that would not normally be protected. An easy test here... move your Excel file to C:\Users\Public, update your DDE operation(s) and re-run program.

Finally, be sure the individual Cells that you are writing to are not Protected in the Excel sheet.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Thu May 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Back of my mind... Office 2007 was the oldest we support.