Mirror Program

Step by step CMM-Manager tutorials
cbus_support

Mirror Program

Post by cbus_support » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Mirror Program is a powerful command that creates a mirror-image of your part, and of any taught operations that measure features on your part. Imagine you placed a mirror (a flat plane) against your part: the reflection of the part in the mirror is a reversed image of the original. Likewise, Mirror Program creates a "reflection" of your part, and of all taught program operations that reference that part; feature locations and geometries are reversed, measurement paths are reflected, even tip selections are mirrored.

The Mirror Program command is useful if your CAD model only represents half of the part (the right side of a car body, for example). Or, if you have no CAD model, you can construct half of your part's features and then mirror it.

Tabor
Super User
Super User

Re: Mirror Program

Post by Tabor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Does this work with PH20?
Tabor

cbus_support

Post by cbus_support » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Yes

akiessftech
New User
New User

Post by akiessftech » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

I just created a mirror program for a Rear sub frame. New probe tips were added, as stated in the instructions, but this made some probe movements to crash in the program. Why would the mirror not just use the opposite of the probe being used instead of creating new ones?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Can you explain what you mean by opposite vs. mirrored probe tip? It may be best to just send your file to Helpdesk for evaluation. Can you confirm that you mirrored the program bout the correct workplane? Keep in mind you may need to adjust some paths for mirrored program, especially if clamps or other obstacles are present on the part / fixture.

JVanderveen
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JVanderveen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 am

We are having an issue (ongoing) mirroring programs. We've chosen a simple program to illustrate.

We have a LH/RH set of fixtures. We have written a program that works fine for one side. These fixtures represent car position with car Y on both being in machine +Z.

If we mirror the program around ZX (from the end of the program using car position as a reference) we cannot make the CAD and the measured points sync. We have tried multiple things including re-writing the CAD alignment, using place CAD with the CMM disconnected, using CAD to surface after measuring the datum surface and nothing seems to sync the CAD and program points properly.

One of the issues that we notice is that even if we manage to make the mirrored program run, the nominals for the points are not properly mirrored. For instance, if a point (in car) on the first program is :

X = 4950
Y = 788
Z = 1000
I = 0
J = 1
K = 0

Then the mirrored point should be exactly :

X = 4950
Y = -788
Z = 1000
I = 0
J = -1
K = 0

Even when the programs that I have successfully mirrored run, the axes don't always behave in this manner. The convention for car position is that the secondary axis is always CCW from the primary axis when looking down the positive third axis. CMM Manager will often break this convention by simply reversing one axis and this breaks a rule. For instance, the Y value in the mirrored program will retain the positive sign. On fixtures such as these we are often required to mount and measure parts with CAD in car position, and this causes problems.

I have this working program zipped into a help desk file.

Please help.

medupriest

Post by medupriest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 am

The attachment doesn't seem to have made it. Can you try again to upload the file?

Thank you.

JVanderveen
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JVanderveen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:57 am

Try this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

medupriest

Post by medupriest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:02 pm

When I mirrored your program, I also had a division between the part and CAD coordinate systems. Did you see this behavior as well?

JVanderveen
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JVanderveen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Good. It wasn't just me.

And yes. That's the problem. I have seen this same behavior on many programs.