Solved- Running a Program - what really happens?

Step by step CMM-Manager tutorials
US_Helpdesk

Solved- Running a Program - what really happens?

Post by US_Helpdesk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 am

In this thread I will explain the in & outs of all things related to Alignments, Features, Reports, CAD, etc. when running a program in CMM-M. I'm frequently asked why results in Teach Mode vs. Run Mode are different or why the DRO from one mode to the other is unique... This is because there are separate databases for all Modes. With this said, running a program in Run Mode does effect the overall location of the program in Teach Mode, however no matter how many times the program is Run the features / results in Teach Mode will remain fixed. The feature and report data in Teach Mode are based on the last Verify results.

--- Let's start by reviewing some behaviors in Teach Mode.

A) CAD Synchronization - Starting around version 3.0 the imported CAD model will automatically Sync to the first determinant Ref Frame. The CAD model will not automatically Sync to subsequent Ref Frames, this is desirable since we do not want the CAD model following every new Ref Frame we create. Two notes on this topic:

- 1. Performing any CAD based Alignment will cause the CAD to Sync - i.e. Cloud-to-CAD or CAD Alignment
- 2. Use Sync CAD to manually Sync the CAD model - I'll explain when and why later

B) Probe Paths & Feature Nominal(s) - Probe Paths and Feature Nominal value is related directly to the current CAD model location and current Ref Frame - i.e. immediately after the initial alignment and CAD Sync all Paths and Feature Nominals are relative to CAD Ref Frame since the CAD and Measured Ref Frame are synced.

-1. Let's say you've measured several features after the initial Alignment and the Set Origin such that the Ref Frame is now shifted from the initial Ref Frame. Paths are still relative to the initial Alignment however the Feature Nominal is based on the new Ref Frame.
-2. This time you've done a subsequent Alignment... In this case it is the same Alignment using DCC vs. Manual features. If you want paths and nominal values for features after this new Alignment to be updated you must Sync CAD immediately after creating the new Alignment.

C) Report Updating - After Measuring and Reporting feature(s) in Teach Mode the Report will reflect the measurement performed. If the measurement is performed again by opening the Measurement Operation and clicking Verify the Report does not automatically update. You can update the Report two ways.

- 1. Open the Report Operation in the Program and click the OK button in the dialog. This will need to be done for each Report item.
-2. Faster Method - Multi-select (use Shift or Ctrl key) Report Operation(s) from the Program database, right click and select the Update Report Option.

--- Now let's look at what happens when we run a program in Run Mode

A) CAD Synchronization - The CAD model location automatically updates upon the first complete / determinant Ref Frame.

Important Note: It is only necessary to Sync CAD model at Program Runtime if Cloud-to-CAD or Cloud-to-Curve Reporting is performed after subsequent Alignment(s) - i.e. In previous example B-2 you would need to check the "Add to Program" check box when syncing the CAD. This will assure the Cloud to CAD comparison is made to the subsequent Alignment vs. the initial Alignment that is likely manually measured and less accurate.

B) Probe Paths - Probe Paths at runtime are relative to the first determinant Ref Frame. Even after new Ref Frames are executed the paths are relative to the initial Ref Frame. What if you want probe path(s) relative to new alignment?

- 1. Run Time Align Part - When Teaching a program after a new Alignment / Ref Frame is created, add this command. When the program is run the paths will become relative to the Alignment that is active when the Run Time Align Part command is executed - i.e. Use this command after setting an origin to a hole before measuring the remain holes in a pattern that may be shifted relative to the initial Ref Frame.

- 2. Relative Measure / Find Hole - Use these options for 2D features when the features have large positional, height or orientation deviations from one part to the next - i.e. Sheet Metal or Plastic Parts.

- 3. Parametric Programming - Using VB you can modify feature locations based on previous feature measurement(s), operator input, external data files, etc. This gives ultimate flexibility in probe paths but requires some knowledge of VB Scripting.

C) Report Updating - To update a report in Run Mode you must use Partial Run to execute both the measured feature and Report item. If you plan to use partial run frequently it is suggested to program in a manner where you alternate measurements / reporting vs. measuring all features with all reporting at the end of the program.

--- Return to Teach Mode after running a Program.

After running a Program when returning to Teach Mode the location of the program will be Aligned / Shifted to the location where the part was located during previous run. The feature and report data is not updated per the last run, only the location of the program is updated.

Use Align Part to manually update the location of a program in Teach Mode.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

US_Helpdesk

Re: Solved- Running a Program - what really happens?

Post by US_Helpdesk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:49 am

Here are some videos supporting topics discussed above:

Align Part - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=500

Sync CAD / Runtime Align Part - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=796

General Procedure for Teaching with CAD - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=175
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

Allawynn
Participant
Participant

Post by Allawynn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 pm

HELP!! Long time Calypso user - just did a reto-fit on my Numerex machine to CMM Manager. Problem: I do the initial alignment to square up my CAD vs the Machine - all appears OK. Now, I then do a secondary alignment in order to set B2 to the proper X-Y offsets, followed by a rotational shift around Z. When I recheck the features that should be approaching Zero in the 3D report, they, the features, do not move. It does not matter which way I rotate to get a Best Fit of the Template, the software seems to be stuck. How do I get the post secondary alignment to sync or alter the post alignment features values?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 pm

I think you should use Runtime Align Part operation if you would like the measured feature target position to update. Remember that all feature measurement path(s) will remain synced to first alignment unless you add Runtime Align Part command to program.

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:48 pm

And...if you use "Verify" when you program on-line with cad make sure to go to...

PREFERENCES > GENERAL > SIMULATE & VERIFY and turn OFF "Update Actual Feature"

This will ensure that the ACTUALS WILL BE EQUAL TO THE NOMINALS while you are writing your program. This will keep your from possibly having to reset actuals later.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

Allawynn
Participant
Participant

Post by Allawynn » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm

OK - I have tried several things, among them, Sync CAD and clicking the Add to program and I have added the Runtime Align Part to the end of the DCC alignment I need to use to best fit the features. Problems I have seen:

1- Numerical values that should be approaching Zero ( 0.000" ) were not changing.
2- the 3D values, which should have been decreasing also, remain the same.
3- a known hole, it's value does change when I alter the Z Axis rotational values.
4- my X - Y Zero hole remained 0. which was good!!!

Now, many of my reports used "space-point" in Calypso. I am "assuming"- that would be akin to a 3D point in CMM Manager. The problem is, the 3D values seem to be stuck somewhere and are not moving with the rotational values, ie, the alignment AND the CAD seem to be moving, when what I want is ONLY the Alignment (new reference frame????) to move. Anything I then check, must be checked to the new alignment system.

In reading the above, I have added the Runtime Align Part to the program after the DCC alignment (I have not saved it or given it a unique name. I have also tried to find the definition of a 3-D point for this program (yes I know how to calculate it, but again, the numbers I was getting did not agree with I was seeing).

What am I missing? and thank you so much for the information given thus far!!!!!!!

martincka9668
User
User

Post by martincka9668 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:36 pm

I have 2 alignments in my program. A manual and a DCC. After I insert a runtime align part after the DCC alignment, the "sync button at the bottom window" says cad out of sync, and I'm in teach mode. Is this correct or should the cad be in sync?

Thank you

ken60
Power User
Power User

Post by ken60 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Do you have "Sync cad" after manual alignment?

martincka9668
User
User

Post by martincka9668 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Yes, I have "sync cad" after manual alignment and DCC alignment.

martincka9668
User
User

Post by martincka9668 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am

Hello, I'm still having a problem with cad sync. I have a manual alignment and a DCC alignment. I use cad sync after both. The button on the bottom window still says the cad is out of sync. Should I use a "Runtime Align Part" or a "Sync part ref frame"?

I use cloud to cad deviation a lot. If cad is out of sync, will my nominals be correct?

Thanks