Missing Probes

46Rocketrod
New User
New User

Missing Probes

Post by 46Rocketrod » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 am

Good morning all. I have come across somewhat of a concerning issue. Within the programs I run I use up to 5 different probes. This morning after startup, I began the calibration cycle but was quickly stopped by an error message that read "The difference between calibration tip diameter and nominal is too large". Upon further inspection I noticed that in the CMM manager furniture, the rack was empty. So not only are my four probes missing, the reference tip isn't even the same. What has happened???

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Missing Probes

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:35 pm

What version of CMM-Manager are you running? All of this information you mention is saved in the WIndows Registry. Is it possible that Windows Update or IT update has caused problems for the Windows Registry?

Check your registry here to see if the CMM-Manager branch of registry still exists - Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.9 SP1

Once you get your system up and running again I strongly suggest you save a Help Desk File. With this file you can easily restore your software to current working state. Maybe check with your service company (who installed and setup CMM-Manager) to see if they made a back up when the system was new.

46Rocketrod
New User
New User

Post by 46Rocketrod » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm running 3.6 SP2. I know that is the source of many of my problems (I have little power over the ability to update due to outside influences).
I found a folder with an older group of assemblies I had made last year that seem to be working but that still doesn't explain the vanishing probes. I've saved a backup folder for these assemblies for the future. That link did help though so thank you for that.

benlucas89
New User
New User

Post by benlucas89 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm

The same thing happened to me this morning. Microsoft updated my computer and now I have no probe assemblies. I am computer stupid and know only the basics. I am on Windows 7 64bit with CMM Manager 3.8. What can I do?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm

These are Windows issues... I can only suggest that you make appropriate back-up (Help Desk File) in CMM-Manager so you can revert to a working environment in these cases.

I think you should get your IT dept involved if this happens on regular basis. CMM-Manager writes all configuration data to locations specified by Microsoft, so really I cannot explain how this happens with Windows.