What's your background?

Tabor
Super User
Super User

What's your background?

Post by Tabor » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 am

I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone's background is. I imagine most of you have been on CMMs for a while now starting with some other software first.

Before stepping into my position, I had zero CMM experience other than running a manual one for about 5 minutes at the local community college. I had studied CNC programming and found the CMM-M interface rather intuitive coming from MasterCam. Before that, I was in school and have been in various industries such as real estate, retail, business (I owned my own limo company for a while), and 11 years in the Air Force working on B-1s and also SIGINT (Signals Intelligence).
Tabor

Autumn Shafer
Getting Started
Getting Started

Re: What's your background?

Post by Autumn Shafer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm

I feel this may be a great thing you have done here. Getting to know more of where/how others have come to this (job) of choice is very interesting to me.

I myself started working in a Nuclear Manufacturer very young, started at the worst possible spot no one wanted (sifting power). I guess I came into my own and picked up on small things noticing when things were not correct. So they decided to put me in the lab with other quality people. I have been in quality ever since. I have never been to school for this and am on the third quality position since then, am currently a Quality Manager with no degree. There are times when I feel that I am at a disadvantage for not having to schooling to back me, over all though feel I navigate myself well under the circumstances.

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 pm

During University I worked in a bicycle shop and had started racing mountain bikes. I met a local machine / job shop owner through cycling and took at job as an intern where I learned NC machining, manual machining, abrasive water jet cutting, automated welding, rapid prototyping, CAD design, etc. I basically had an opportunity to learn what I wanted, it was awesome to get college credit while working at such a place. Over the course of several years I focused on mountain biking and had started a team in Michigan, I moved up the ranks in racing / competition and planned to make a living from cycling.

While biking, I broke 4 vertebrae and moved back home to Ohio where I found a job programming manual CMM(s) with PC-DMIS at a gage manufacturer. I secured this job with a little white lie... LOL I told the employer I had experience with PC-DMIS when in fact I had barely used Tutor for Windows. I figured out PC-DMIS pretty quickly and then after a year or so I got a four week break after an arson burnt the CMM lab and part of the facility leaving only an empty shell. Upon returning to work we had new'ish DCC machines with manual Probe heads, I quickly filled the gap in my DCC programming knowledge.

I took a job as QA Engineer at Aerospace firm... In short, worst job ever. Noisy, dirty desk area, unruly Labor Union, incompetency all around. I purchased a DCC CMM for this company and left after a year or two to work for the gage manufacturer again.

At this point I was providing contract CMM programming and training for several local companies (including the Aerospace company I had just left) My CMM programming job had become boring since I had become an expert in the software and automated nearly every aspect of what was previously a very manual process. I was introduced to software development when I took a project programming a Palm Pilot that was paired with a functional gage for collecting variable data. Not too long after things unbearable for me and I started looking for new opportunities.

I took a job as Application Engineer with Integrated Quality (IQ) They had been working on CMM-Manager for a few years at this point. I was hired mainly due to my experience with other CMM software. Over the years I have contributed much of my experience with previous CAD, CMM and other software to help further develop CMM-Manager. Several of the original development team members are still working on the product, it has been a terrific experience working in this team. I’m now in a position where I have (too?) many responsibilities but most enjoy working with customers, re-sellers, studying competition, etc. to help guide our product roadmap.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

ScottGooch
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScottGooch » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:39 am

When I started in Quality Assurance work (Borg Warned Corp.) in 1976, it was on a whim. I only had a high school education and was not a math wiz. However, I could read Micrometers and Calipers and was awarded the opportunity.
I started my CMM career on an old DEA manual (IOTA) machine in 1985. (I got that job because I took my machinist handbook and a calculator with me to the interview). The CMM was equipped with an old DEC PDP8M computer (about 7 feet tall). It was a tape reader equipped machine with a teletype output device that literally “hammered” its way to the junk yard one day.
I then got introduced to the DEA Partner and thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was equipped with an IBM PC-xt, running at a screaming 4.77 MHz. It had an old monochrome monitor, and a dot matrix printer… Wow!
As the years progressed, I had the opportunity to teach myself to inspect parts with DCC CMMs, optical devices, and video devices. Along the way, I have taught myself spreadsheet and database work, and have learned to integrate create and operate by “failure is not an option”, and a “never say never” attitude.
Metrology work has been a friend as well as a career. I am one of the fortunate people who can honestly say I love my work. I have found myself challenged and therefore driven to learn logic skills, and be a visualizer.
I am surprised that there are not more people seeking a true career in Metrology. You have to pay your dues, but if you have the drive, it is very rewarding.

probe_it
User
User

Post by probe_it » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:09 am

After high school, not having a clue what to do, I attended a 2 year trade school in Tulsa, OK for aircraft mechanics. After completion, secured a job as a structures assembler on the C5-B transport. From there, went to Columbus to work for 2 years on the B1 Bomber fuel cell assembly. Began my CMM career in W. Mich running a DEA Bridge with Partner software (remember the intellavision boards for gaming?), only because no one else wanted to. Was hired at a plastics shop and ran a Helmel with Geomet for 15 years. I've bounced around a bit after that and have used several softwares including: Geomet, Geomeasure 6000, V-DMIS, Open DMIS, PC DMIS on a portable arm (for only 2 weeks, good story), dabbled with origin a little bit, Metrologic XG for a short stint, LK CMES and now have 3 years on CMM Manager, by far my favorite. Hardware includes DEA, B&S, Helmel (still running with CMM Manager) Mitutoyo, Kreon/Baces currently using) portable arms, FARO arms (all with CMM Manager, works great with arms)
30 plus years into this, and still learning...