Hit patterns for flat clouds and planes

Cy Goughman
Regular User
Regular User

Hit patterns for flat clouds and planes

Post by Cy Goughman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Every now & then, it looks like a hit pattern in a zig-zag ("W"), rather than a box, would be more efficient. Is there a way to make a rhomboid version of the standard hit pattern without editing individual points? TIA
ASQ CMI, Temper NDT,
Acting Curmudgeon.

CMM Guru

Re: Hit patterns for flat clouds and planes

Post by CMM Guru » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here since you haven't specifically said so.
* You are running CMM-Manager 3.9 SP2
* You are using CAD

If you select either Features > 3D (orange) or Features > Cloud (orange cloud) and select the surface, by default you get a point set of 3 x 2 (6 points) assuming none fall "in a hole". In either case, you can:
* Change the points along length / width to get more points
* Change from the default which is indeed zig-zag (but may not be clear depending on surface) to one direction.
* Change from width first to length first

If you can give a bit more detail, I may be able to give a more direct answer.

Cy Goughman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cy Goughman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:05 pm

We're using 3.9 SP2. While I mostly program from CAD, I also have used the Add To CAD command to make primitive CAD forms for easy picking (that way, I'm not trying to feverishly write a Learn Mode program when the first piece comes in).

For a plane surface with one corner at the origin and the far corner dimensioned x4.0 x y0.75, a way to put points in a zig-zag, rather than a saw tooth (what CMM-M calls zig-zag) pattern. To wit: x.15/y.65, x1.13/y.15, x2.26/y.65, x3.35/y.15, x3.85/y.65. Up to now, I would just make a 3X5 hit pattern and delete one of each pair of hits to make the zig-zag.

At present, it looks like a VB script with x intervals and y offsets for each point based on the form of the surface. Start with a line
of points parallel to the x-axis and add offset values for y every n number of x-points.

...and all this is because it seems like a box isn't always the best way to salt hits onto a surface. Really, I wouldn't have brought it up, but I'm always wishing for the option.
ASQ CMI, Temper NDT,
Acting Curmudgeon.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:15 pm

You are saying you would like option #3, correct?

PointPatterns.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cy Goughman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cy Goughman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 am

Yes. Option 3 would add some flexibility. With some manual edits in special circumstances, it might allow a different way to sample surfaces that don't need full rectangular coverage. It would be a bit like picking a surface whose UV lines don't parallel its edges. You have to add extra points so some will fall outside the surface but leave the hits you want.
ASQ CMI, Temper NDT,
Acting Curmudgeon.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am

I would look at the Along Edge option in 3D features like Plane and Cloud. This option creates points along the edge boundary of CAD surface with specified edge margin and point density. With all images shown above it also results in shorter path.

along_edge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.