2 max radii to diameter

jdevente
Participant
Participant

2 max radii to diameter

Post by jdevente » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 pm

I have to measure an outside diameter using 7 points at specific angles. I then have to report the radius of each individual point back to the center of the circle composed of all 7 points. Up to here i have no issue. i then have to take the two largest radii and add then together to report the diameter. Is there a way to script this to were it finds the 2 largest and adds them together?

Thanks,
Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CMM Guru

Re: 2 max radii to diameter

Post by CMM Guru » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 am

This could be done by extracting all the radii and doing a sort. Then pick the two top ones. I don't know that we have an example of this specifically.

What's peculiar about this, is typically you would simply use the standard GD&T Minimum Circumscribed circle which finds the THREE high points and gives you this information. In your use case and description here, your two high points could be adjacent, and that doesn't really mean this would or would not "fit" something?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:59 pm

CMM Guru wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 am
What's peculiar about this, is typically you would simply use the standard GD&T Minimum Circumscribed circle which finds the THREE high points and gives you this information. In your use case and description here, your two high points could be adjacent, and that doesn't really mean this would or would not "fit" something?
I don't think that's the method described. The TWO points are 1) the Center of Circle and 2) the highest point.

I have seen similar requests from Plastic Pipe manufacturer. I sent sample programs to CMM Guru and will let him post on forum. You can actually bypass VB Sorting as CMM-Manager has construction to find highest point from Circle's center.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:24 am

Okay... here is solution, two actually.

1) Measure Circle then from Feature Database, right click on Circle and choose [Create Form Graphical Report...] This generates a Graphical report as shown below that includes Min and Max diameter represented as radius from center to both highest and lowest point.

form_graphic.jpg

2) Second solution has a few more steps but adds a traditional (text) report vs. only only displaying diameter in the Graphical Report.

a) Measure Circle
b) Set Origin to Circle
c) Construction - Extract Raw data of Circle (turn on Probe Comp option)
d) Construct Point a Highest (or lowest) point relative to Z axis (Origin is center of circle)
e) Report distance from Center of circle to newly constructed (High / Low) Point
f) VB Script to extract distance to variable, then multiply by 2
g) Report User Defined DImension using variable above as Actual value

VB Script looks like this:

Code: Select all

dia = GetReportInfo("DIST BT CIRCLE1 and POINT1", "XY",2)
dia = dia*2
See attached example programs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.