System Error 20 with Romer Absolute arm

mhenson
User
User

System Error 20 with Romer Absolute arm

Post by mhenson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I have a Romer Absolute arm that I'm attempting to connect to CMM-Manager 3.5 SP1 on a Windows 7 Enterprise PC. Nikon API 3.7.5 and Hexagon RDS 4.2 are installed, and the arm appears to be functioning normally when viewed in RDS. However when I try to connect to it in CMM-M with the MCAx/Absoute localizer, I get an error stating "System Error 20: Localizer Error: RDS service is not running", even though RDS Toolbox is running in the background. What needs to be done to get the arm connected in CMM-M? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
System Error 20.PNG
RDS Status.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: System Error 20 with Romer Absolute arm

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 pm

What Arm is this? Is it Hexagon or Nikon "branded" arm? If this is Nikon MCAx, then you will need different version of RDS utility.

Is it possible that other client software is still connected to Arm? CMM-Manager will not connect if other software is connected and running. I would close all applications, then launch RDS manually, then try connecting with CMM-Manager.

Try Helpdesk if you cannot get this working. Our helpdesk has more experience with these newer Arms than I do.

Edit... I think we had similar problem recently when trying to connect Nikon MCAx arm and had to restart PC. Otherwise this is likely an issue with the version of RDS.

mhenson
User
User

Post by mhenson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm

The arm is a bit bizarre actually. It's visually a Nikon MCAx on the outside, and we got it through a Nikon rep, but it only responded to the Hexagon RDS program. With the Nikon RDS 4.1, the arm never showed up as connected. It's an older arm too, about 5 years old at best guess. As far as I know the only other utility connected is RDS Toolbox, but I'll try closing it out and connecting through CMM-M.

mhenson
User
User

Post by mhenson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:47 am

The arm is a bit bizarre... visually it's a Nikon MCAx, labels, color scheme and all, but it only responds to the Hexagon RDS software. Initially I tried using the Nikon 4.1 RDS, but it never saw the arm connected through RDS Toolbox, and CMM-M still throws the System Error 20 regardless of which version of RDS is installed.

I don't see any other software running that could connect to the arm, just CMM-M and RDS. I have even tried ending the RDS task in case the toolbox itself was somehow interfering, but this did not change or fix the error.

mhenson
User
User

Post by mhenson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:21 am

Update: I disabled User Account Control on a whim (I was getting annoyed with it popping up every time I opened CMM-M), and now the arm is connecting in CMM-M... It's very laggy though, takes several seconds to take a point after I've hit the button on the arm.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 am

How is the Arm connected? We prefer Ethernet since the WiFi or any wireless connection can be slow.

mhenson
User
User

Post by mhenson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am

It's connected via USB, is the ethernet just for a handheld scanner? Or is that required for regular arm operation as well?

EDIT: Tried an older version of RDS (Hexagon 4.0) and the lag has been reduced significantly, down to about half a second from pressing the button to CMM-M registering the point. Still connected through USB only.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am

You're right... USB is good for tactile system, Ethernet is only used for scanner system.

I've used Arm that has this lag you describe but do not know what causes this. Do you have a different laptop available to test whether the behavior is limited to your current PC?

mhenson
User
User

Post by mhenson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 am

We tried 2 Win10 PC's, and a Win7. We saw the same super-lag on all three with the RDS 4.2, only tried RDS 4.0 on the Win7, which gave us the least lag so far. Right now, we're rolling one of the Win10 laptops back to Win7 and we're going to reinstall everything to it with the RDS 4.0. I'll update once I've had a chance to test it; hopefully that brings the arm closer to real-time.

medupriest

Post by medupriest » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 pm

This just helped another user, so hopefully it will work for you as well.

find the mxml file in:
C:\ProgramData\Nikon\NMAPI4\Localisers\RDS\RdsDriverStaticSettings.mxml

Locate the line:
<ToolStableRadius_mm type="float">1.000000000000000e-01</ToolStableRadius_mm>

Try changing "1.000000000000000e-01" to "5" and see if that fixes the lag issue.