Using a circle to define a point location

Advanced techniques applicable to any version of CMM-Manager
Allawynn
Getting Started
Getting Started

Using a circle to define a point location

Post by Allawynn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm

I was able in Calypso to define a dynamic point using a circle as an origin to locate a point. I need to locate a point on top of a cone, but the cone apex is "off-center" from absolute position. How do I - in CMM manager - or is it possible, to create a cone and using the centerline of the cone, to then control the X & Y of said point, in order to get an accurate Z Axis measurement that is centered on the tip of the cone?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using a circle to define a point location

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 am

Allawynn wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm
but the cone apex is "off-center" from absolute position.
A couple thoughts... What do you mean off center from absolute position? Position of what? The cone? A point constructed at centroid of cone with be ON the c-line, not sure about height. What are you actually trying to do? Measure a cone and then MEASURE a point on its top (apex) point or just trying to create some Constructed point on the top of cone?

Please speak in terms of CMM-Manager... I do not understand what you mean by "dynamic" point.

Allawynn
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Allawynn » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:07 pm

OK - I inspect fixtures, with tooling spheres or rest buttons and I need to measure the dead center of a rest sphere or the face of the walls of rest buttons. The walls are sometimes very narrow, as in 2x a probe dia. Between the mis-drilling of the tapped hole to nominal and the clearance of the button hole - the rest button or the spherical rest button can be "off-center" by enough that I miss the wall face. In Calypso, I could control hitting the wall of the rest button by measuring the OD of the button. Using that X-Y value, I could locate a Z Axis point on the face of the wall perfectly from the true C/L of the button. How do I use, VB to control an X-Y movement using the center of said rest button in order to measure the face of the wall? or - as stated above, the true apex of a conical rest point.

medupriest

Post by medupriest » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:26 am

This will not require a VB script. This is just how CMM-Manager operates. If you level to a feature, the machine motion will normalize to that feature. Same for origin. So once you align to a feature, you can program to the perfectly nominal values and it should take points where you want.