Combining multiple clouds for faster measurement

Cy Goughman
Participant
Participant

Combining multiple clouds for faster measurement

Post by Cy Goughman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:13 pm

I've noticed that there is a small pause when a program moves from one line with a measuring command to the next line. I also noticed there is less pause time when moving from one hit to the next within a cloud. When I have a large measurement area with multiple model surfaces, I've been able to speed up the sequence by first measuring each surface as a separate cloud, extracting the points from all the clouds, adding them to the CAD model as one cloud and measuring them with one command line. Is there a way to do this with fewer steps? TIA

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Combining multiple clouds for faster measurement

Post by Ryan Christopher » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:52 pm

When measuring a cloud, from the measure cloud dialogue box you can go to the points tab and 'add a pick' and pick points all over the model (even points not on the original surface). After that you can hit, esc then create path and all the points are in one cloud at that point.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

Cy Goughman
Participant
Participant

Post by Cy Goughman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:23 pm

I did not know points could be picked on the whole model. I've always used the surface pick because the cloud edge distance and hit pattern are more regular, centered if need be, and can make 2D sections.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:02 am

Cy Goughman wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:13 pm
I've noticed that there is a small pause when a program moves from one line with a measuring command to the next line.
What CMM / controller is used? Some controllers have greater pause than others. We have made some changes in version 3.9 that eliminate all (most) pause except for pause induced only by CMM controller.

Cy Goughman
Participant
Participant

Post by Cy Goughman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 am

We have a B&S Global Status with a GC-1 controller. We are running a PH10MQ through the PC. The PC runs Windows 7 Pro.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 am

I would try a demo copy of CMM-Manager 3.9 to see if latest version improves program execution speed. You can request trial here - https://www.cmmmanager.com/trial/

Cy Goughman
Participant
Participant

Post by Cy Goughman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:02 am

We just updated, last week. CMM Mgr seems to go through the command lines faster. I'll do a few tests with circles (holes) to see if a hole pattern measures faster as individual holes than as one continuous point cloud of hits.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:38 am

That's great news. Thanks for the update. It may not be as fast as combining all points into single Cloud Measurement, but will certainly be faster than previous version.