Vision program not repeating

MistyOnion
Participant
Participant

Vision program not repeating

Post by MistyOnion » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:48 am

I’m trying to use my VMA-2520 (CMM Manager 3.61) for visual inspection of large batches of finished parts. These parts are circuit boards with holes that I am trying to get x-y coordinates (hole center to center) on, so no diameter requirements.

I have a milled aluminum fixture to place these parts in, but I am still unable to get my program to reliably locate the holes for measurement. Using the verify option locates the features correctly, but then during the program run, the camera moves to a location that is not the same.

Is there a way to have it recognize patterns and orient itself automatically?

I had some success with the align command, but with 20 pieces per run I would need to align to each part individually, and that was causing me a ton of problems.

I do not have a CAD model, and these pieces don’t really lend themselves to using a touch probe, so I think the camera is my only option. I am hesitant to risk upgrading the CMM Manager software in the middle of this project. I've read many of the tutorials and they don't have quite the answer I'm looking for, thank you!

Acuity_Metrology
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Vision program not repeating

Post by Acuity_Metrology » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Pattern recognition is accessible through the Vision ribbon tab. It is an important tool for anything that doesn't repeat location precisely. This could be an initial alignment step (creating an origin for the start of a program) or on features that don't have precise location from the current reference frame.

The Current Reference frame is the important part though. You need to always think of that tri-colored trihedron, the part reference frame, as "From here". That is to say that the coordinate system is always in reference to that trihedron, so if it isn't set in a way that will reliably tell the software where those holes are, then the software won't find them.

My advice is to step through the program one step at a time through your alignment and watch the part reference frame. If you get through Level, Align, and set origin, the coordinate system must be placed repeatably or it will not find the holes.

Pattern recognition isn't going to be helpful to you in this case, because if it isn't finding the holes, then the location of them isn't consistent with your reference frame, so reporting them will still be erroneous data.