Path planning extra moves.

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
myork1967
Nikon
Nikon

Path planning extra moves.

Post by myork1967 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 am

CMM Manager imo has some of the best path planning around.....

with that being said, every so often i will see it put some additional moves in. This has happened on versions back to 3.4.

I can go in and remove those unwanted moves, but my question is why are they there.

I think i know but wanted some official "tech guy" thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

CMM Guru

Re: Path planning extra moves.

Post by CMM Guru » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Mike - a tiny bit more detail would be helpful? This isn't much to go on!

John

Cy Goughman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cy Goughman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:27 pm

I get surprised sometimes, too. The settings in the Preferences can be confusing. Sometimes a path running through a tight space will have little clearance moves away from the material when a straight line would have worked OK. Other times, when switching between avoidance and no-avoidance paths, CMM-Mgr doesn't see the path of the no-avoidance features. It will do a succeeding avoidance move/feature with added clearance in the direction specified under auto-path. I've never found an optimal hands-off way to do a whole part... and the direction restraint in auto-path seems to be intrusive.

All that said, I still like to pick points all over a CAD model as one cloud and then tell CMM-M to measure it in full auto. It may not be super -efficient while running, but it can be pretty impressive.

Acuity_Metrology
User
User

Post by Acuity_Metrology » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Generally speaking, when a path must interfere with the avoidance zone (the margin at which the model of the machine tries to avoid the model of the part) to execute a path, that is where you will see unnecessary moves.

One thing to remember regarding preferences and path planning is that once a path is created, the job is done. Reverting a preference will not undo the path without a user action. There are cases in which it will be practical to change a preference, create a path, and then revert the preference. Avoidance zone in "path creation" is one example. Try dropping to a much smaller value, re-create the path with the new value and see if the extra moves are removed.