UCC Server and CMM Manager

reneramirez17
Participant
Participant

UCC Server and CMM Manager

Post by reneramirez17 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:27 am

Hello Everyone,
I am hoping someone can help. I recently got my machine calibrated. The gentleman created new "airmaps" on all my axes, did full calibration on the PH20 head and everything. Everything look good in numbers, but when I check ID and OD we are getting the dimensions over size by .001inch. We are using master gages to confirm. The calibration people, do not know what's wrong. He looked at "everything" and can seem to understand what the issue is. He is assuming UCC server is running find, but doesn't think CMM Manager and the UCC server are communicating correctly. He has done 2 calibration on my machine and still does not fix the issue. Can someone help maybe identify what might be the issue.

CMM Guru

Re: UCC Server and CMM Manager

Post by CMM Guru » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm

You say ID and OD are BOTH oversize? A probe calibration issue would result in the two being opposite. ID under, OD over; or ID over and OD under.

What is your form like?

Is EVERYTHING off by 0.001? Or, if you measure a 2" gauge at 0.001 over, does a 4" gauge measure 0.002 over?

Do you have a calibrated length bar (not a ball bar, a long flat end gauge bar)? If so, you could inspect a plane on one end (And datum it if you want) and then a point on the other end and do distance Point>Plane.

reneramirez17
Participant
Participant

Post by reneramirez17 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

I am so sorry. I meant to say we are out of tolerance by .001. If it's an ID, it measures oversize, if it's an OD it measures undersize. Everything is off by .001. Size does not matter. It's just off by .001

I do not have a calibrated length bar. We only have ID master gage.

We just got the machine calibrated. Twice.. Even the gentleman that calibrated is not sure what is happening. He is insisting CMM manager is not communicating correctly with UCC server but not sure.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:40 am

Ok. That makes much more sense.

If it has not been done, I would suggest calibrating the head. This is *not* the same as a probe calibration (Although the routine looks almost the same).

Which version of CMM-Manager and UCC Server are you using? This system *was* working and now is not?

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:48 am

Make sure that your calibration sphere diameter is input correctly in UCC Server too!
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

reneramirez17
Participant
Participant

Post by reneramirez17 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:58 am

Yes, the head was calibrated. That was the gentleman's first thing he thought could have been causing the issue, so he did a calibration on the head, but no luck.

UCC Server 5.4 and CMM Manager 3.9 SP2.

It was working fine previously. What we know is... Everyting was workign fine at the end of the 2019 year and even into Jan. In Feb we updated CMM Manager from 3.9 SP1 to 3.9 SP2. Then we started realizing we were having issues with measurements on the CMM Vs production measurements. In the end of Feb we check with a master ring gage and that was reading .001 out of tolerance. March 12 we got our machine calibrated. Everything looked good as far and calibration numbers. Well, little did we know it was still having the same issue until again we measured the gage last week and had them come out and fix the issue. April 6 he calibrated the head, did new airmaps for all axes he did a lot. Still same issue. He believes its CMM Manager and UCC Server not communicating correctly.

What we dont know is when those issues started happening because we usually run +/-.010 +-.005 and some +-.002 tolerances and we probably brushed it off as good parts for months. We don't know if it was happening before or after installing 3.9 SP2.

We did use an older version of CMM Manager 3.8 and we were still getting the same issue.

reneramirez17
Participant
Participant

Post by reneramirez17 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:35 am

Ryan Christopher wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:48 am
Make sure that your calibration sphere diameter is input correctly in UCC Server too!
Hello Ryan,
Yes, we did. He measured the sphere diameter, made sure everything was correct on that part as well.

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 am

It could be that the post-head-calibration procedure wasn't done correctly.

The right way to do things...
1. Open and run the head calibration routine in UCC Assist and then close UCC Assist.
2. Open UCC Server and "Clear Calibration" for all tools (including RefTool).
3. Calibrate RefTool
4. Calibrate the remaining tools.
5. Done.

Years ago I tried to skip the "Clear Calibration" step and noticed right away some unusual measurement results and had to go back and calibrate my tools in UCC Server.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:17 pm

This may sound odd....

Calibrate a tool (or used one that you have just done)
Re-measure your calibration sphere.

If you calibrated a 4mm tip on a 25.4 sphere and then use that tip to remeasure the sphere immediately after, it should measure 25.4"

This won't be really helpful, but I suspect a system issue of some kind here. We have several customers running this exact combination and one of the combinations we tested for release was with UCC 5.4. And the fact that CMM-Manager 3.8 resulted in the same problem makes this even more suspect.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 pm

Just a note to include some info from an external email exchange.

ref_tip and 4x10 (properly defined as a 4x12) show oversize and have exceptionally high form error (4x10 is 44.4 microns). Since some other tools (2x20) look dead on, this implies something specific tip related - loose stylus, bad module, etc.

To compound this, since the problem is with ref_tip, any errors affect other calibrations as well.

An important note to anybody reading this thread: With PH20/I++, CMM-Manager does absolutely nothing when calibrating probes. It only sends a "REQUAL(4x10)" command for instance. Motion, calculations of tip calibration, everything is 100% handled internally and stand-alone by UCC. The results we see in CMM-Manager are simply a copy of the UCC internal data that is sent back to us over I++.