Hit patterns for flat clouds and planes

Cy Goughman
Regular User
Regular User

Hit patterns for flat clouds and planes

Post by Cy Goughman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Every now & then, it looks like a hit pattern in a zig-zag ("W"), rather than a box, would be more efficient. Is there a way to make a rhomboid version of the standard hit pattern without editing individual points? TIA
ASQ CMI, Temper NDT,
Acting Curmudgeon.

CMM Guru

Re: Hit patterns for flat clouds and planes

Post by CMM Guru » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here since you haven't specifically said so.
* You are running CMM-Manager 3.9 SP2
* You are using CAD

If you select either Features > 3D (orange) or Features > Cloud (orange cloud) and select the surface, by default you get a point set of 3 x 2 (6 points) assuming none fall "in a hole". In either case, you can:
* Change the points along length / width to get more points
* Change from the default which is indeed zig-zag (but may not be clear depending on surface) to one direction.
* Change from width first to length first

If you can give a bit more detail, I may be able to give a more direct answer.

Cy Goughman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cy Goughman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:05 pm

We're using 3.9 SP2. While I mostly program from CAD, I also have used the Add To CAD command to make primitive CAD forms for easy picking (that way, I'm not trying to feverishly write a Learn Mode program when the first piece comes in).

For a plane surface with one corner at the origin and the far corner dimensioned x4.0 x y0.75, a way to put points in a zig-zag, rather than a saw tooth (what CMM-M calls zig-zag) pattern. To wit: x.15/y.65, x1.13/y.15, x2.26/y.65, x3.35/y.15, x3.85/y.65. Up to now, I would just make a 3X5 hit pattern and delete one of each pair of hits to make the zig-zag.

At present, it looks like a VB script with x intervals and y offsets for each point based on the form of the surface. Start with a line
of points parallel to the x-axis and add offset values for y every n number of x-points.

...and all this is because it seems like a box isn't always the best way to salt hits onto a surface. Really, I wouldn't have brought it up, but I'm always wishing for the option.
ASQ CMI, Temper NDT,
Acting Curmudgeon.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:15 pm

You are saying you would like option #3, correct?

PointPatterns.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.